NEW ORLEANS – A federal judge says the embattled administrator of the $20 billion compensation fund for Gulf oil spill victims is not independent from BP and he must stop telling potential claimants that he is.
U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier said in a ruling late Wednesday that he is ordering BP, claims czar Ken Feinberg and any of their agents to change the way they communicate with people seeking money from the fund.
Barbier says Feinberg must clearly disclose in all communications that he is acting for and on behalf of BP in fulfilling its obligations as the responsible party under the Oil Pollution Act.
Barbier stopped short of ordering changes to a release form people who accept final payments from the fund must sign. He asked lawyers to submit additional briefs to the court.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The Gulf of Mexico should largely recover from BP's oil spill by the end of next year , and all final settlement offers to victims who lost revenue from the disaster will be based on that assessment, the administrator of the $20 billion compensation fund said Wednesday.
Attorney Kenneth Feinberg said the Gulf Coast Claims Facility relied on experts to determine that a 30 percent recovery is likely in 2011 with full recovery in 2012. He notes, however, that oyster harvesting will take longer.
The fund was set up by BP PLC in August to compensate people for lost revenue following BP's oil well blowout off Louisiana. It has so far paid about $3.3 billion to 168,000 claimants, but many are still waiting for any money, and thousands of others claim they were shortchanged. About half of the total 485,000 claims filed have been denied because of ineligibility or lack of documentation.
Feinberg has faced repeated criticism about the slow pace of payments and the small size of checks to victims, as well as complaints about lack of transparency and perceived influence from BP. The hits continued Wednesday.
"While this office had hoped that the methodology would finally provide some transparency, this document provides no useful information to claimants beyond a simplistic multiplier and is based on very optimistic assumptions about unknown environmental and economic conditions," Florida Attorney General Pamela Bondi said in a court filing.
Feinberg's new draft proposal for how final settlements will be paid, based on the assessment, calls for claimants to receive twice their documented 2010 losses. Oyster harvesters will be offered four times their documented 2010 losses.
Documents released by Feinberg show he based the assessment largely on expert reports from a Texas professor and a consulting firm to determine the long-term affects on seafood harvests, the tourism industry and the Gulf economy.
"I think I have canvassed the universe," Feinberg said.
People can comment on the payment proposal through Feb. 16.
For months, Feinberg has promised worried claimants that final settlements would be very "generous."
The reaction to Wednesday's news by many across the region was: This is what you call generous?
"He's asking people to sign away their rights for basically peanuts. I don't see anyone accepting this," said Louisiana fishing guide Mike Helmer. "This is an insult. This is unbelievable. It's a joke."
Mississippi seafood processor Keath Ladner hasn't been paid a dime on his roughly $1.7 million claim. He is one of the largest processors in the state, taking in seafood from about 70 boats.
He calls Feinberg's assessment a guessing game.
"We may have certain species come back within a few years, but that doesn't mean the nation is going to feel safe buying it," Ladner said.
Feinberg acknowledges nothing is certain, but agrees with the assessment that recovery is at least likely in 2012.
"I am comfortable with what I am doing today," he said.
Those who aren't ready to take a final settlement can instead file for interim quarterly payments through August 2013, provided they can show proof of continued losses. Claimants can also file for a quick cash one-time payment of $5,000 for individuals and $25,000 for businesses, but they would have to give up their right to anymore money or to sue responsible parties. The same release is required for a final settlement. About 90,000 people have taken the quick cash. About 92,000 claimants are so far seeking final settlements.
Early on, the process first allowed for claimants to seek six-month emergency payments to help keep them afloat, but many weren't satisfied with what they received and felt the requirements were too cumbersome.
Under the new guidelines for final settlements, those documentation requirements would be even "more rigorous and exacting than the minimal documentation" previously required, according to the draft methodology.
Tony Kennon, mayor of Orange Beach, Ala., a tourist town hit particularly hard by the spill, said the new requirements "absolutely astounding."
"We have businesses handing in 2,000 pages of documents. How much more rigorous can you get other than handing over your first born," Kennon said. "The strategy continues to minimize BP's payout."
Feinberg has repeatedly said he is operating the fund independent of BP's influence. However, of the 92,000 claimants who have already filed for a final settlement, only one company has been paid, and that was after BP intervened.
BP called it a "a unique situation" when it sought a $10 million payment from the fund for a business associate, which Feinberg paid. He later told The Associated Press that claim was never reviewed by the GCCF. BP reached an outside settlement with the business and told Feinberg to make the payment. BP would not disclose the name of the business, citing confidentiality.
Feinberg's law firm had been paid $850,000 a month for its work on the fund, but is currently negotiating a new payment structure to manage it through August 2013.
He said he is mindful of the criticism but he believes the program and his final payment methodology are fair.
"The money is moving freely," Feinberg said.
A pending motion before a federal judge in New Orleans asks the court to change a release form to allow people who accept a final payment from the fund to retain their rights to sue responsible parties. The attorney generals in Mississippi and Louisiana have expressed support for the motion, and Bondi, on Florida's behalf, joined in Wednesday.
A ruling by U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier is expected this week.
Keywords clouds text link http://alonhatro.com/
Dịch vụ seo, Dịch vụ seo nhanh , Thiết kế website , máy sấy thịt bò mỹ thành lập doanh nghiệp
Visunhome, gương trang trí nội thất cửa kính cường lực Vinhomes Grand Park lắp camera Song Phát thiết kế nhà thegioinhaxuong.net/
|aviatorsgame.com ban nhạc||confirmationbiased.com|
|mariankihogo.com ốp lưng||Giường ngủ triệu gia Ku bet ku casino|
mặt nạ mặt nạ ngủ Mặt nạ môi mặt nạ bùn mặt nạ kem mặt nạ bột mặt nạ tẩy tế bào chết mặt nạ đất sét mặt nạ giấy mặt nạ dưỡng mặt nạ đắp mặt mặt nạ trị mụn
mặt nạ tế bào gốc mặt nạ trị nám tem chống giả
© 2020 US News. All Rights Reserved.